Tribute to Hitchens

By Kyle | December 19, 2011

Stephen Fry hosts a video tribute to Christopher Hitchens a month or so ago….Reading the many fine obits and appreciations, I wonder why it is that these couldn’t have been published a month or two ago, when Hitchens could have chuckled over (and perhaps) rebutted them? Funerals are for the living; why not “living obituaries” for those who have announced a fatal illness or reached some milestone such as retirement?

Topics: Christopher Hitchens | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Tribute to Hitchens”

1. Simon van Rensler Says:
      December 19th, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I would have loved to read what he would’ve written about the death of Kim Jong Il. Oh well.

2. Rebecca B Says:
      December 20th, 2011 at 11:16 am

I say that God (in order to prove himself to a known skeptic – ha ha) greeted Hitchens and told him he could pick one person to follow him into the afterlife. Hitchens picked Kim Jong Il.

December 20th, 2011 at 11:45 am

It could be kind of discouraging to someone so sick to read his own obituaries. While there is life, there is hope, and so on.

December 20th, 2011 at 11:50 am

@Rebecca: Cute. But as a believer I’d say Hitchens no longer has any doubt as to God’s existence, regardless of who follows him into the afterlife. In any case, I’d hope, for Hitchens’s sake, that He and Kim are headed to different places.

December 20th, 2011 at 11:51 am

Whoops! Should say: that he and Kim … lower-case c.

December 20th, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’m totally losing it. I mean lower-case h.

7. Angie Says:
      February 2nd, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I agree. If you want to recount someone’s accomplishments or tell how great they are, what’s the point of doing it after they’re gone? It may be sad (and a little morbid) but I think it would also give comfort knowing you had an affect on those around you.

Comments