In Praise of James O’Keefe

By Kyle | March 13, 2011

In my Sunday column, I talk to the conservative Borat, James O’Keefe (whose other avatars include Saul Alinsky and Hunter S. Thompson) and wonder what is next for the bright young man whose antics have shaken NPR.

Topics: Politics, Radio | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “In Praise of James O’Keefe”

1. Floyd R Turbo Says:
      March 13th, 2011 at 10:51 am

Oddly enough I was on my way to your piece when I was sidetracked by the story about the St. John coach’s hot wife. Good reporting on that one.

I think O’Keefe’s main risk is himself — not that he has to be perfect by any stretch, but if he starts to buy his own press (conservative Press) and gets cocky.

Other than that I think he has a near limitless stable of possible stories. How many decades have these groups (NAACP, Planned parenthood, et al.) been ignored? They probably don’t realize all the things they’re doing wrong because they’ve had the cover of the Palace Guard for so long. And religious-types aren’t good at hiding their true faith — and Leftists are nothing if not religious. Good Lord — these people are like new Christians who won’t shut up about Jesus (my peeps — you know what I mean). They can’t shut up about all the stuff they do.

2. Christian Toto Says:
      March 13th, 2011 at 11:29 am

Here’s the question I ask over and again, and I suppose I don’t really expect an answer. Aren’t there any honest journalists out there who see these double standards and want to take a stand against them (liberal muckraker = hero, conservative muckraker = villain)

3. Floyd R Turbo Says:
      March 13th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I wonder if a lot of the journalists with moxie go overseas. Tilting at windmills “over there” while physically more dangerous is often more conducive to a longer career. You’ll get money to expose a Gaddafi or whomever but keep your damn hands off of Planned Parenthood. The sad thing is that they do neither very well.

4. Murabma Says:
      March 13th, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Wasn’t he also arrested on felony charges in New Orleans for trying to monkey around with a politician’s phone lines? From his Wikipedia entry:

“In January 2010, O’Keefe and three other conservative activists were arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service in New Orleans, Louisiana[3] on felony charges of entering federal property with the intent of interfering with the telephone system of U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu.[4] O’Keefe was sentenced to three years’ probation, 100 hours of community service, and a $1,500 fine.”

I also believe that he’s the son of a prominent federal prosecutor in Louisiana, which might explain the relatively light sentence for something that would probably have gotten someone less connected a much harsher sentence I suspect. Ends justify the means, right? One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter?

As for the reference in the article to the Koch Bros. call, I listened to all 20 minutes and found the toadying level of the tone in Walker’s voice throughout quite disturbing personally. A governor of a state takes a call from a billionaire businessman backing him and proceeds to speak glowingly and almost stream of consciousness like (the faux Koch says little to nothing throughout)for almost half an hour including tidbits like the fact that he considered placing goons in the crowd to make the protesters look bad, but thought it might backfire so didn’t do it, and that’s not newsworthy or noteworthy? I’d have to disagree on that. I also noted that Walker made almost no mention of a budget crisis as what was driving him there, but plenty of talk about busting unions. BTW, Walker himself has a history of dirty tricks, having been nailed for campaigning violations while a student at Marquette. I’m no big union fan, but Walker seemed to overstep himself there. All I needed to know, personally, was that he exempted certain unions that either supported him or whose members typically voted Republican. That spoke volumes to me and most moderates I suspect.

I find this kind of journalism interesting in general, but think that applies equally to folks practicing it on the right and left and don’t quite see how someone can promote O’Keefe while dissing someone like Michael Moore, say, or Messr. “Faux Koch”. Lots of emperors on both the right and the left have no clothes and though the sight of such grotesqueries can be quite painful (I walked away from that Koch call sick to my stomach about how easily our politicians can be bought, for ex.), it’s sometimes important for society to see them naked in all their “glory”….

March 13th, 2011 at 9:50 pm

6. spongeworthy Says:
      March 14th, 2011 at 9:48 am

Murabma, excellent rendition of classic concern-trolling. No links, a shady excerpt from Wikipedia of all places, plenty of innuendo but no actual quotes from Walker and plenty of “heartfelt concern”. You’re just sick about the whole thing, right?

Truly, this was an impressive job of re-awakening a claasic troll. Now, if only this was 1998, you might have actually convinced someone. Somewhere.

Next maybe you should resurrect “Wake up, Sheeple!” or even the classic Che-Che.

7. spongeworthy Says:
      March 14th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Classic Che Che:

March 14th, 2011 at 10:21 am

Or Katie Couric reporting with dismay the views of her teen daughters on Iraq…

Comments