ABC Abandons Plan to Advertise Alien Invasion in the Sky

By Kyle | October 29, 2009

Globalwarmism has really gone too far when it’s stopping wacky, cool publicity campaigns like this one: ABC, to promote its update of “V: The Miniseries” (“The A-Team” of 80s TV sci-fi?), was planning to use skywriting to place giant red V’s in the air over various national monuments. I was eager to see how many people would be freaked out. Though of course I would like to go on record as stating that I, for one, welcome our alien overlords. I wonder whether “V” or AMC’s “The Prisoner” will be a huge disappointment. Something tells me the former will be lame but not the latter.

Topics: Advertising, Movies, TV | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “ABC Abandons Plan to Advertise Alien Invasion in the Sky”

1. Robert P Says:
      October 29th, 2009 at 11:38 am

I wouldn’t doubt “V” just yet. Just look at this blurb about it:

E! Online rated the pilot episode “on a scale of 1 to 10, we give it an 11. V is the best pilot we’ve seen in, well, forever.” The website Seat42F rated the pilot episode an A+, applauding its cast and effects and naming it one of the best pilots in years. USA Today’s Robert Bianco put V on his list of the top ten new shows, stating that the remake is well-made and “quickly establishes its own identity.” King Features’ entertainment reporter Cindy Elavsky calls V: “the best new show on television, by far. The special effects are feature-film quality; the writing is intelligent and time-relevant; and the acting is first-rate. The first five minutes alone will hook you for the entire season.”

October 29th, 2009 at 11:41 am

In spite of my best efforts not to be I am super excited about V. Hey, that rhymed. There is a 99.9% chance it is going to suck but it can’t be as bad as the original, which I loved as a kid but was astounded by how lame it was when I rewatched it as an adult.

The Prisoner, I’ve come to expect nothing but greatness from AMC. Whoever is running that network is doing a hell of a job.

October 29th, 2009 at 11:44 am

Robert,

Critics liking it makes me even more afraid (no offense Kyle). Generally critics only like something if it is:

a)anti-American
      b)anti-Christianity
      c)complete jibberish

I would have been more excited if they didn’t like it and called it preachy. The teasers make it look like they are prepared to take on Barack Caesar (ALL HAIL!!) but I can’t imagine critics liking it if they were doing that.

Again, no offense Kyle.

4. K Says:
      October 29th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

So, I take it then that they removed all the Obamabot references?

October 29th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

There were Obamabot references? I’ve always gotten the impression there were some jabs at him.

October 29th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I now have three commments awaiting moderation. I’m clearly being censored.

7. Robert P. Says:
      October 29th, 2009 at 10:59 pm

RE: Brandon

With all due respect, I think that is nonsense when people make comments like “all critics like jibberish”.

It’s not a popular opinion, but in some rare exemptions for me, generally whenever an overwhelming majority of top critics love a film, it truly is a great film.

If you stick by thinking that critics don’t know anything, you’ll find yourself in line for Transformers 2 instead of Inglourious Basterds.

October 30th, 2009 at 9:47 am

Excellent point Robert. That is why I qualified it with “generally”. There are a handful of critics I mostly agree with, like Kyle for example.

9. Robert P. Says:
      November 4th, 2009 at 1:43 am

Kyle, did you see this tonight?

If so, do you agree with the prevailing feeling that this is a rare show that actually attacks the left?

Also (hopefully related), do you agree with the feeling that “The Dark Knight” is an obvious defense of George W. Bush?

10. kyle Says:
      November 4th, 2009 at 10:24 am

I have it on DVR. I couldn’t watch it last night because I had to go see The Fourth Kind. I wrote a column arguing that the Dark Knight was actually Dick Cheney but clearly it was a ringing defense of the previous administration.

Comments