Hated Movie Arrives on DVD

By Kyle | May 28, 2009

A funny story from Lou on the notoriously disastrous Michelangelo Antonioni anti-American film “Zabriskie Point,” an attempt to cash in on the success of “Easy Rider” that lost more than $6 million for MGM back in 1970. (It originally ended with an airplane flying over with a banner reading, “F–K America”). “Zabriskie Point” has finally arrived on DVD. And I think all of our lives are enriched a little, don’t you?

Topics: DVD, Movies | 53 Comments »

53 Responses to “Hated Movie Arrives on DVD”

1. sori*a_d Says:
      May 28th, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Awww, please zip it, Lou. =) Antonioni is a genius. I don’t care if he got high for a two-year stretch at some point in the 70s and made ONE stupid film. L’Avventura and The Passenger make up for it. Context, baby, CONTEXT!

2. JohnM Says:
      May 28th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

It’s notable for having some music by Pink Floyd which would later evolve into “Us & Them” and “Careful with that Axe, Eugene”.

May 28th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Further proof that cluless Uncle Lou should stick to hitting disabled critics with his rolled-up program. Oh, and Zabriskie Point is a flippin’ masterpiece.

4. JohnFNWayne Says:
      May 28th, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hunter would have loved Zabriskie Point more if the whole moving was the “F*** America” banner.

May 29th, 2009 at 4:19 am

I absolutely adore America. What I have a problem with are the right-wing bigots that pollute it.

6. kyle Says:
      May 29th, 2009 at 10:20 am

Just curious, Hunter: According to you, what percentage of Americans are right wing bigots? And what percentage of residents of other lands are bigots (right wing or otherwise)?

May 29th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Basically everyone east of California and west of Manhattan. They don’t call them the flyover states for nothing.

May 29th, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Hunter, have you ever actually been to any of the “flyover” states? As someone born and raised on the east coast (Washington DC) who now lives in the South and loves it I think a visit would do you a lot of good. It’s not at all what you and the other coastal elitist think it is.

9. blackhawk12151 Says:
      May 29th, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Hunter. You have once again proven that you don’t have to go to West Virginia to find a bigot.

Although according to your criteria I grew up in the good part of America so…thanks, I guess.

10. Floyd R. Turbo Says:
      May 29th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Hunter… I live in CA and NY is also about to go bellyup. The liberal effete snobs have ridden the hoi polloi to bankruptcy in these two places. Why are the non-flyover states so sucktastic in their governance when all the a**-wipes with names like “Hunter” and “Tremayne” (please tell me your middle name is “Madison”) live, work, and govern in these places? You’d think upper class twits would know how to balance a budget. People who mow their own lawns, clean their own houses, and raise their own kids are far superior. Look at the relative stability of fly-over states to liberal fascist states. Please — keep flying over.

11. JohnFNWayne Says:
      May 30th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, screw that part of the country that grows your food, builds your furniture, cars and luxury items and makes life worth living.

12. sori*a_d Says:
      May 31st, 2009 at 11:55 am

Hunter, don’t you know that the Midwest is where the greatest American dreamers and innovators come from? Dylan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Iggy Pop.. (Wait, wait, let me anticipate your response: “Um, Dylan is a bigot, didn’t he have that born-again phase back in the 80s?!)

All in good cheer, mate.

May 31st, 2009 at 6:08 pm

The Midwest is also the place that breeds people who murder doctors who perform abortions. I think we can do without the Midwest.

14. sori*a_d Says:
      May 31st, 2009 at 7:07 pm

*Sigh* My momma raised me to be civil and polite. But: when one says, “We can do without the Midwest,” I’m gonna have to chuck the manners out the window and turn into one unchecked Freudian bitch of fury.

Hunter: You are raising the lamest, most pathetic non-argument of them all. America is like your mom, dude. You are only allowed to bitch about its flaws if you love it more than life itself.

May 31st, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Stuff and nonsense.

June 1st, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hunter I knew you’d jump all over the abortion doctor thing. My brother does the same thing, it’s so sad but to listen to liberals talk you’d think that this was a daily occurrence. Also why do you guys only care when the person being murdered is an abortion doctor?

All of the nation’s murder hotspots are liberal; Chicago, Detroit, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, LA, etc not one of those is a Conservative area. In California you just had 50 illegal immigrants arrested for targeted murders of black people based solely on their skin color. Yet you only find the murder of this one abortion doctor as worthy of note.

17. Sean Brennan Says:
      June 1st, 2009 at 11:19 am

FYO, Hunter, the last two murders of abortion doctors in the United States occurred in the states of Florida and New York, not exactly the Midwest.

June 1st, 2009 at 11:39 am

I think we can agree on one thing, Brandon: far right Conservatives and Christian fundamentalists should be forbidden the right to bear arms. Time to disempower those lunatics.

June 1st, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Actually you just listed the people least likely to committ a violent crime. Most violent crimes are committed by low to lower middle income black and hispanic males between the ages of 15 and 35. Not a real strong Conservative demographic.

20. blackhawk12151 Says:
      June 1st, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Wow…disempowering of people who don’t agree with you. Remind me again how that is NOT Fascist. Can we all drop the illusion that Hunter is just a normal Euro-trash leftist? He is just as much of a bigot as any stars and bars displaying redneck, he just directs his hate at different people.

June 1st, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I note that neither Brandon nor Blackhawk have disowned the far-right wackjob who walked into a church and shot a doctor dead. They probably cheered when they heard about it.

22. blackhawk12151 Says:
      June 1st, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I wasn’t aware it was my responsibility to disown him. I thought that went without saying, but I guess that was a ridiculous assumption around an idiot like you Hunter.

June 1st, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Seeing how as I haven’t been in a church in 15 years and am not what one would consider a staunch abortion opponent I do not see my condemnation doing much to revive this guy. Obviously any idiot walking into a church and killing anyone’s wrong but I assumed that went without saying.

Who knew a formal condemnation by anyone who was in anyway associated with any right leaning thought was required on certain crimes. Do you have the list of crimes that I have to formally condemn? A formal condemnation letter template would also be handy if you have it.

24. blackhawk12151 Says:
      June 1st, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I am hereby requesting that Hunter condemn all criminal acts committed by leftists.

Or maybe he doesn’t consider them criminal. I guess the end justifies the means right?

25. yankeefan Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 2:21 pm

We moral cretins on the coasts have lower rates of divorce, teen pregnancy, abortion, and out-of-wedlock births than our betters in the red states. And we dysfunctional “liberal-fascists” in the blue states subsidize the “self-reliant” red states to the tune of over $100 billon/year.

I have no beef with the flyovers. Half of my family is from the Midwest, as are many of my friends and current colleagues. But some of you folks seem determined to out-Hunter Hunter, and in doing so, you are writing novels about coastal vs heartland morality and governance that have little or no bearing on reality.

June 2nd, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Amen, yankeefan. I do not resent my tax dollars propping up the midwest economy, but I do call foul on anyone from that dismal part of the glorious USA challenging the intellectual, cultural and moral superiority of the coasts. Burn your Harry Potter books, kill the abortion doctors, blacklist gay people from decent jobs, but don’t you DARE tell us you are better people: the country is worse off for your archaic attitudes, bigoted prejudices; your racism, sexism and homophobia stain all that is great and good in this wonderful country.

27. kyle Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Out-Huntering Hunter is something that I have not seen done, Yankeefan.

June 2nd, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Yankeefan I’d be very curious to see where your info comes from. Everything I’ve ever seen shows you actually had it completely backwards; except perhaps the lower rate of divorce given that the coastal states have lower rates of marriage a lower divorce rate would make perfect sense. Oh and your tax dollars aren’t even propping your own states up let alone the midwest.

Our beef with Hunter (mine in particular as I am in one of the states he’s ripping on) is he thinks everyone is homophobic, burning Harry Potter books, racist and god knows what else. He’s saying this out of complete and willful ignorance. But as someone born and raised on the coast and now living on the buckle of the bible belt I can tell you absolutely nothing is further from the truth.

June 2nd, 2009 at 4:44 pm

See Yankeefan now you got me going and since I work for a government based insurer we have access to all sorts of odds and ends:

• Fifty percent or more of teenage pregnancies end in abortion in New Jersey, New York,
      Massachusetts and the District of Columbia.
      • By contrast, teenagers in Utah, Kentucky, South Dakota and North Dakota had the lowest
      abortion rates. These states also had fewer than 17% of teenage pregnancies end in
      abortion: South Dakota, Utah and Kentucky.
      • Nevada had the highest teenage pregnancy rate (113 per 1,000), while while North Dakota had
      the lowest rate (42 per 1,000).

The only areas it mention higher pregnancy rates in the South are among black and hispanic women. Overall Nevada is #1 in teen pregnancies, all the southwest states are in the top 5 (do mostly to illegal immigration) with California at 7. Only two southern or midwestern states make an appearance in the top 10 and they are MS at 3 and Georgia at 8.

Divorce stats were tough to get but marriage and divorce rates are lower on the east coast with DC being the lowest. The highest again is Nevada. Several states including California do not report these numbers so any blanket judgement is impossible.

The tax dollars by state are much harder to come across but not surprisingly the coastal states consume far more tax dollars per individual than the “fly over states” with DC and California being the biggest offenders. DC’s tax dollars are spent primarily on education (and still have the nation’s worst education system) and California’s are pirmarily spent on Welfare and MediCal (Medicaid).

Would you like to make up any additional statistics? As long as we are making up statisitics I say the coastal states lead in baby eating. No offense to those of you living in coastal states (my brother is in CA) I’m just trying to highlight how stupid it is to make up stats especially in the Google age.

30. blackhawk12151 Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I not from the Midwest. I grew up in the suburbs of Broward/Dade County Florida. Florida goes back and forth between blue and red state but Broward/Dade is the most consistently blue in the state. I have no personal stake in the whole Fly Over Country debate. But I do know that people like Hunter who insult people based on geography are just bigots trying to prop up their own dillusions.

June 2nd, 2009 at 5:12 pm

“I not from the Midwest”? “Trying to prop up their own dillusions”? I can only suppose, dear Blackhawk, that Florida also “goes back and forth” between dumb and dumber.

32. yankeefan Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Brandon: The pregnancy, out-of-wedlock births, divorce studies, etc, come from the CDC. The blue v red comparisons re: federal tax payments and benefits come from the Census bureau. Anecdotally, Rudy Giuliani, when he was mayor of my great city, and a great mayor at that, never tired of making the argument that places like NY pay far more in federal taxes than they get in benefits, and that the situation in many flyover states is the reverse.

I do not share Hunter’s sentiments toward the flyover states, nor do I wish to stereotype people who live there. I am in complete agreement with you on that.

Mr. Turbo’s comments in #10 read like he’s auditioning for the part of Right-wing Hunter. Answering stereotypes of rednecks with stereotypes of effete liberal fascists is rather silly, no?

33. blackhawk12151 Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 5:38 pm

You know Hunter has run out of snarky witticisms when he starts going after typos. Come on, you can do better than that.

34. James Frazier Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Hunter, I’m curious: were you and Kyle roommates in college, neighbors, something like that?

June 2nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I do not resent my tax dollars propping up the midwest economy

What tax dollars? You’re in Barcelona.

June 2nd, 2009 at 6:54 pm

@ James

Kyle and I were childhood friends, raised on a peyote farm in Iowa. He was scared by a horse at the age of seven and when he recovered he declared himself a a Republican and left home to join the circus. We did not meet again for many years, but renewed our friendship at a fancy dress party during Operation Desert Storm. I came as Britannia; he came as Ayn Rand. We downed a couple of pints of Guinness and let bygones be bygones. We have been inseperable ever since.

37. kyle Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Hunter and I were seagoing tars on one of Her Majesty’s pirate-hunting ships, the HMS Desire. I was the captain; he was my pissboy. I had him regularly flogged for insubordination, bad jokes, and non-regulation facial hair. (Either that or we have a mutual friend called Anna, a Brit journo who used to work at the NY Post in the 1990s and brought us together for purposes of drinking, mine in moderation, his not so much.)

38. sori*a_d Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Heavens to Betsy, this is the silliest I’ve yet seen you two boys in a public forum. =) Abracadabra! I hereby conjure up Russell Crowe in his ‘Master and Commander’ ship captain guise to pop in and slam some sense into you.. =)

39. Bunter Ptomaine Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Well said Hunter. I’m quite certain none of these inbred, in-land troglodytes even know how to tie a cravat like us, eh? It’s bad enough that we get illiterate, racist and sexist trash from New Jersey coming into Manhattan to “hang out.” Thank Gaia that the rest of the rabble who live even further in the dank middle of the country don’t have enough range in their pick-ups to make it here. Keep it up, old chum.

P.S. Remind me, which neighborhood do you call home? Upper West Side? Tribeca? Hell’s Kitchen?

40. sori*a_d Says:
      June 2nd, 2009 at 11:51 pm

“Please, Thomas Jefferson, my fave dead prez and personal idol, guide me tonite and allow me to be the best version of myself and applaud even dissenting opinions, however barfy, because they are a blessed expression of our country’s true ethos.” [Deep inhale] OK, I’m cool. Now I can applaud this latest comment and not get mad.

41. Bunter Ptomaine Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 12:03 am

Thomas Jefferson? Please. He’s the incompetent boob who decided to purchase what became the Midwest from Napoleon and got us into this mess. He should have kept the US as a small “Coastal Elite” nation, AND we would have had New France as our neighbors to the west, greatly enhancing our lives with their superior culture and taste.

42. sori*a_d Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 12:15 am

Ha-haa! .. Bunter, please facebook-friend me when you author one of the most essential historical documents in world history, found a university, and become an expert architect, botanist, philosopher and wine-maker in the Free World..

PS: Kyle, this is all your fault. Your blog is addictive. Now I descend to the level of kindergarten exchanges here.. Agh, you!

43. Bunter Ptomaine Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 12:29 am

I’ve actually accomplished most of that list already. Next on my list is to father a child with one of my “unpaid interns.”

44. sori*a_d Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 12:59 am

Ah voila.. The one undefensible chink in the TJ armor.. I knew this was coming! Since we’re still on kindergarten-playground polemics ground, I won’t bother to furnish a thoughtful apology. I will say this though: from what I’ve read–and believe you me, I consumed all the lit and non-fiction out there on the subject–I believe TJ really adored Sally Hemmings. In his own buttoned-up, 18th-century-Anglo-saxon way. I realize he was wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels, but I also believe with my whole heart that their was a true love story thwarted by the laws and rules of the time..

45. Bunter Ptomaine Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Undefensible? Stop being so provincial. Do you live in Kansas, perhaps?

46. James Frazier Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I couldn’t help but ask, because the blog of a conservative writer seems like an unusual hangout spot for a man who professes such enormous contempt and disgust with right-of-center American.

June 3rd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

James,

While what you say is true you are not taking into account Hunter’s love of conflict.

48. James Frazier Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Oh, it crossed my mind, I’m just not interested into becoming involved in this one.

June 3rd, 2009 at 2:11 pm

You are a wise man James.

June 3rd, 2009 at 2:31 pm

you are not taking into account Hunter’s love of conflict.

Love of conflict? Need to be noticed, more like.

June 3rd, 2009 at 2:34 pm

51st post! I win!

52. Bunter Ptomaine Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Congrats Hunter, keep up the good work!

53. sori*a_d Says:
      June 3rd, 2009 at 2:39 pm

@Bunter: Heheh, this reminds me of a Marlene Dietrich quote–when one of her gazillion lovers, Brian Aherne, told her he was rattled by going out to dinner with her, her husband, their 6-year-old child and hubby’s live-in mistress, Marlene went, “Dahling, he’s my husband! What’s one got to do with the other?! You can’t POSSIBLY be so bourgeois!”

Regards from LA!