Naomi Watts: The Cry Streak Lives!

By Kyle | February 6, 2009

My senior colleague Lou Lumenick once pointed out (this was years ago) that Naomi Watts cries in every movie she makes. It’s now several movies later and guess what? The cry streak lives! “King Kong”? Check. “The Painted Veil”? Yup. “Eastern Promises”? But of course. “Funny Games”? Duh. It’s a torture film. Today I saw “The International,” a sober adult thriller in which Watts plays a New York Assistant D.A. helping a disgraced Interpol agent (Clive Owen) track a nefarious bank. I thought: this is going to be a tough one for fans of the Cry Streak. Near the end of act II, though, she managed to squeeze out a tear. I wanted to jump on my seat and yell “Boo-yah!”

Lou told me he once asked Watts about her waterworksing and she got offended, as if she hadn’t realized people are noticing that she gives pretty much the same performance no matter what kind of movie she’s in.

Topics: Movies | 16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Naomi Watts: The Cry Streak Lives!”

1. Brian Moore Says:
      February 7th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I cry every time I see Naomi Watts, because she’s smokin’ hot and I’m not getting any of it.

2. Christian Toto Says:
      February 7th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

That’s a deeply insecure response … but I forgive plenty when it comes to Ms. Watts

3. Omar Says:
      February 7th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Nice to know Lou still has contempt for actresses, even the good ones…

4. Floyd R. Turbo Says:
      February 7th, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Christian is completely right — very adult. I thought a better streak was started in Mulholland Drive.

My main question about The International… how can one be the most powerful institution on earth AND ask for bailout money? If my TARP money is being used for assassination and shenanigans then I better call Feinstein and Boxer.

Question #2 is the laughable Interpol? They’re not “cops” in any real sense of the word. They’re bureaucrats for Pete’s sake! Oh well. I’m sure the bank is a Middle Eastern bank run in Dubai to fund jihadists.

5. Jules Says:
      February 7th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

‘she gives pretty much the same performance no matter what kind of movie she’s in.’

Same could be said of Clive Owen who couldn’t out act a wooden chair.

February 7th, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Come on, now. You’re not actually going to argue that she gave the same performance in Eastern Promises, King Kong and Huckabee just b/c she cried in all three?

Just want to say, I really liked her in King Kong. She was pretty much the only thing in the movie I liked.

7. John Says:
      February 8th, 2009 at 1:39 am

What about the actual Kong? I thought he was great.

February 8th, 2009 at 2:53 am

I can’t get that excited about an oversized ape. Watts, on the other hand, …

9. Jules Says:
      February 8th, 2009 at 9:22 pm

‘I can’t get that excited about an oversized ape.’

You protest too much. Your ape fetish has no place on this expensively-made blog.

February 8th, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Jules, your comments grow ever more frantic and Hunterish. Is he perhaps providing you with material?

11. Jules Says:
      February 9th, 2009 at 12:04 am

Kinko’s, I can assure you that my comments are entirely my own work.

The King Kong movie was crap, by the way. And way too long.

February 9th, 2009 at 10:42 am

I can assure you that my comments are entirely my own work.

Nothing to brag about.

You’re right about King Kong. Except for Watts, who breathed a bit of life into the dull thing.

13. Dusty Says:
      February 9th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Eh… She teared up a bit, but no tears actually fell as far as I could tell.

I don’t think it qualifies.

February 9th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Has anyone here seen Soul Men? Is it worth watching?

15. kyle Says:
      February 9th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Soul Men was terrible. Skip it.

February 9th, 2009 at 4:06 pm