Republicans: Optimistic Till the End

By Kyle | November 4, 2008

Over at Dirty Harry, quite a few posters have a bit of tentative optimism that John McCain will pull a Joe Namath tomorrow. I can’t quite see it. But remember in 2004, when every poll had President Bush ahead by a small margin? Yet the 1 pm exit polls showed Kerry winning in a blowout? No one seemed particularly surprised. Could the pollsters be off by, say, eight points? They were in Britain in 1992. As the Guardian newspaper put it:

A final poll of polls, published on April 9, suggested a Labour lead of 0.9%. “Time for a change” was the Daily Mirror’s election day headline. But the Sun, with far more flair and ruthlessness, splashed memorably with: “If Kinnock wins today, will the last person out of Britain please turn out the lights?” It was illustrated with the Labour leader’s head in a light bulb.

As soon as the results began to come in, it was clear that the 1992 election was to be the pollsters’ Waterloo. In the event, the Tories won by 7.6%, an 8.5% error and the worst ever showing by the polls. The national shares of the vote were Conservative 42% (no change from 1987), Labour 34%

I put McCain’s chances of an electoral college victory at ten percent. I put his chances of winning the popular vote at two percent.

Topics: Barack Obama, John McCain, Politics | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Republicans: Optimistic Till the End”

November 4th, 2008 at 1:39 am

Some of those posters at Dirty Harry also believe the world is flat, “Santa Claus Vs. The Martians” is a documentary and Elvis Presley works as a gas attendant on a full moon. Oh, and all of them are armed to the teeth, or would be, if they had any left.

2. kyle Says:
      November 4th, 2008 at 1:54 am

Dang it hunner, you’ve done showed us rightards what fer agin! Think awl jes crawl bak inna muh trailer and watch me some “Walker, Texas Ranger” reruns. Maw, warm up some squirrel fer supper!

November 4th, 2008 at 2:27 am

It’s ‘coon for you, bwah, ‘n’ coontail, at thet, lawks-a-mercy! An’ don’t yew be mentionin’ nah Chucky Norris in THIS haws, naw, naw; naw, siree! Why, thet man keeps this’n world frum a-spinnin’ ev’ry time he does his’m a press-up! Nah eat yer grits less y’all git some fits! The sun is shinin’, fine an’ bright as a new dime: shuck your shoes, son – t’nite’s dancin’ tahm!

4. Jules Says:
      November 4th, 2008 at 11:01 am

I haven’t read this site but I don’t think I need to as I have already watched Talladega nights several times.

Meanwhile, as I predicted, realising the election is a forgone conclusion, Murdoch has ordered the New York Post to support Obama. Today’s issue is full of loving editorial comment and a front page which predicts a landslide.

Not sure if Kyle has received the memo yet.

November 4th, 2008 at 11:47 am

Hunter, Kyle,

I live in the South and honestly have no idea what you guys were saying there. I’m curious have either of you ever actually been to the South? I was born and raised on the East Coast (DC) and spent most of my 20’s out West (Denver) but was pleasantly surprised by the South. I believed a lot of the stereotypes you guys do but now have to say it’s my favorite part of the country.

November 4th, 2008 at 11:48 am

For the record, while I doubt the accuracy of polls I see no possible way McCain pulls this out.

7. kyle Says:
      November 4th, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Jeez, Brandon, don’t lump me in with Hunter. I was parodying his ridiculous stereotype of conservatives! (Yes, I’ve been to the South several times and trained at Ft. Bragg.)

November 4th, 2008 at 1:01 pm

My apologies Kyle. I’ve been defensive all day today. I think Hunter needs to spend some time in the South, it might soften up his rhetoric a bit. Nothing beats good old Southern hospitality.

9. Jules Says:
      November 4th, 2008 at 2:03 pm

‘Nothing beats good old Southern hospitality.’

I couldn’t agree more:

November 4th, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Jules the picture is so old it’s in black and white. That is no more relevant to the South now than bad teeth are to the Brits. It’s all old outdated stereotypes. I tell you by not giving it a try you are missing out.

Though on a seperate humorous note I have a friend from Pulaski TN, the birthplace of the KKK, and she always goes home for Christmas which allows me to trot my favorite old line;”Pulaski, where you are always sure you will have a white Christmas.”

11. jic Says:
      November 5th, 2008 at 10:39 pm

That is no more relevant to the South now than bad teeth are to the Brits.

Bad teeth are still pretty relevant here. Although it’s not as bad as it used to be. When we moved here in the early ’80s, they used to hand out leaflets at the dentist debunking the myth that it was natural for all of your teeth to fall out by the age of 35.

Comments