I Like Russell Brand

By jic | October 31, 2008

I still don’t find him remotely funny. In fact, I find him tiresome. But his imbecilic antics with the ever more embarrassing talk show host and film critic Jonathan Ross are causing the BBC to be held to account, something that doesn’t happen anywhere near often enough:

The BBC attempted last night to draw the poison from another calamitous week by taking the unprecedented step of banning its highest paid star for three months, and accepting the resignation of one of its most senior and best-loved executives.

The corporation suspended Jonathan Ross for 12 weeks without pay, calling his behaviour “utterly unacceptable”, a move which effectively fines him £1.3m.

Mark Thompson, the director general, hopes the sanction will end the crisis, but some inside the BBC were lamenting the fact it was Radio 2’s controller Lesley Douglas who was forced to carry the can for a lewd prank phone call by Ross and Russell Brand, who quit on Wednesday.

It’s just a shame that the massive public and political outcry was caused by a pair of buffoons, and not the decades of all-pervasive left-liberal bias.

Topics: Celebutards, News, Politics, Radio, TV | 25 Comments »

25 Responses to “I Like Russell Brand”

1. K Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 12:36 pm

It was especially damaging because the licence fee is based on a public belief that the BBC offers a degree of integrity and impartiality which its commercial competitors cannot achieve.

Sort of like Pravda.

2. Jules Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 1:33 pm

‘I find him tiresome. ‘

I find your dribbling posts tiresome. Why do you care whether the BBC is ‘held to account’ – if you live in America?

BBC news is infinitely superior to the crap doled out by Fox / CNN etc. By ‘left-liberal’ you really mean objective and impartial.

October 31st, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Jules, you’ve read the rantings from the right-wing nutjobs on this site. Do you think any of them have any time whatsoever for a news broadcaster that is objective and impartial?

The BBC is the greatest and noblest television organization in the world. Aside from some of the the greatest dramas in the history of the medium (“I Claudius” “The Singing Detective” “State of Play” “Life On Mars” – the list is endless), comedies (“Fawlty Towers” “The Office” “Absolutely Fabulous”), nature documentaries (“LIfe On Earth” “The Blue Planet” “Civilization”) its long history of independence and freedom from political influence and commercial sponsorship means that, the world over, BBC cameras are allowed where no other countries TV crews are allowed to go (CNN and all other US networks have to get their reports from most troublespots from BBC crews); and they have done practical good in the world: Nelson Mandela has long held the BBC in thne highest regard, saying that it was greatly responsible for his freedom. The BBC is the gold standard for broadcasting, and shame on Kyle for attempting to slime it.

As for Russell Brand, he is a hoot and a half. His standup is edgy, consistently inventive, raucous and delightful. He went over the top on this occasion and caused offence, but at least he had the good grace to resign over it rather than accept a suspension. Of course, Kyle doesn’t like him because he called Bush a moron when he hosted the the MTV awards.

4. Jules Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Hunter, the ‘dribbling’ posts are made by Jizz, not Kyle. I find Brand irritating but he was right about Bush.

Most of the BBC shows you mention have been stolen by the Yanks and bastardised into watered-down sitcoms. They even tried to make an American Fawlty Towers – minus the one character who carried the show – Basil himself! Idiots. Life on Mars US isn’t very good but The Office US is actually very funny.

October 31st, 2008 at 2:28 pm

@ Jules. Ack! Apologies to Kyle.

October 31st, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Hunter & Jules,

You are correct I have no direct experience with BBC but all the papers I read from England complain about the flagrant agenda such as the global warming thing where they refused to air a dissenting opinion. Though your endorsement of it as impartial confirms what everyone says about it being left wing.

That wouldn’t be my main concern though. Something I read earlier this week from the Daily Mirror said the BBC pays Mr. Brand a $21 million salary which comes out of the taxpayers pocket. Taxpayers being forced to pay bloated celebrity salaries should be a concern to anyone living in Britain and there seems to be a surging opinion that the BBC should be pulled off the government teet.

On am unrelated note rather I like Russel Brand or not he was outstanding in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It’s a shame he ruined his career stateside.

October 31st, 2008 at 2:38 pm

@ Brandon. “Ruined his career?” He has been on Leno three times in two months, his hosting of the MTV awards was the highest-rated for that show in a decade, he co-stars with Adam Sandler in the Disney picture “Bedtime Stories” this December, is starring in Julie Taymor’s “The Tempest” with Helen Mirren and Judd Apatow is writing a movie called “Get Him To The Greek” for Brand to star in (as Aldous Snow, the character he played in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”)

8. Donnie Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Brandon and Kyle dont like Russel Brand for stating the obvious; George W Bush is a retarded cowboy.

I love when these wing nuts try and take the “liberal media” to task but meanwhile they hang on every filthy lying word coming out of the immoral sewer that is Fox News, The New York Post, and The Weekly Standard or from some sociopathic pundit like Limbaugh, Coulter, or Malkin.

Kyle is so wind warped like the rest of these right wing boneheads that he sees the abuses at Abu Gharib (as evidenced by his review of Errol Morris’s Standard Operating Procedure) as akin to a fraternity hazing.

October 31st, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Yay!!! I play a drinking game where every time Donnie mentions Malkin I get to take a drink. Thanks Donnie. Also Donnie which faction in this war do you think is more guilty of torture and cruelty, the US or terrorist?

Hunter I should have been specific with the “ruin his career” remark. I mostly mean from my perspective and not even because I disagree with him (I am no fan of President Bush) it just aggravates me when celebrities feel the need to drag political non sequitors like this up rather they are on the left or right. I’m tired of political anger tainting everything, there honestly is no where to get away from it all anymore.

10. Jules Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 3:32 pm

So his career is only ruined in your eyes? He will be crushed!

October 31st, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Jules,

He should be. I’m very powerful. Seriosuly though I imagine there are alot of people who will just dismiss him as another extremist. If you wathced the awards even people in the crowd looked offended and annoyed.

12. Jules Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 3:41 pm

‘If you wathced [sic] the awards even people in the crowd looked offended and annoyed.’

Shocking! Who let that moron Sarah Palin in to the awards anyway?

October 31st, 2008 at 4:17 pm

In spite of your fantasizing it wasn’t your hero Sarah Palin. Actually two performers even took subtle shots at him about some of his remarks; Jordan Saprks and Nichole (not sure of her last name) from the Pussycat Dolls.

You and Donnie should get together and psychotically babble to each other about your spurned affections from the objects of your obsession; Michelle Malkin for Donnie and Sarah Palin for you. I think the two of you would get along famously you could even be safety buddies. You could keep him from strangling himself while he angrily abuses himself over Michelle Malkin and he could return the favor to you as you abuse yourself over Sarah Palin. It’s a touching Hallmark movie waiting to happen.

14. jic Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Why do you care whether the BBC is ‘held to account’ – if you live in America?

Proof that Jules doesn’t pay much attention to the actual contents of the posts he’s commented on.

15. Jules Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 4:55 pm

You are so irrelevant that the information about you was quickly forgotten.

16. kyle Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Sky News has been all over this “story” all week. What exactly did they say on the air? And who the freak is Jonathan Ross?

17. jic Says:
      October 31st, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Jules: If I’m “so irrelevant”, why do you comment on most things that I write?

Kyle: Transcript at my first link, Ross’ bio at the second.

18. Donnie Says:
      November 1st, 2008 at 12:23 am

To confess, I revel in simpering, self-pitying fascists who complain bitterly of liberals craving “conservative” blood persecuting them. Sob sisters on the right are a maudlin, lunatic spectacle that might tickle me to no end if I didn’t want their heads on a pike so very badly.

November 1st, 2008 at 12:58 am

Donnie,

Get. Counseling. Now. You could be the angriest person I’ve ever seen. Random question; do you have one of those Che’ shirts? How about one of those bags with the red star on it?

20. Jules Says:
      November 1st, 2008 at 10:29 am

Kyle, Ross has been one of Britain’s top TV presenters for the last twenty years. He started out on Channel Four where you tend to get away with the sort of stunt he pulled with Brand, before moving to the mainstream BBC1.

He replaced Barry Norman as film critic on the Beeb’s Film review program. Surely, you’ve heard of Norman???

21. Jules Says:
      November 1st, 2008 at 10:31 am

Jizz, you make a great ‘number two’ here…

November 1st, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I think Hunter is nuts, but when he’s right, he’s right. British TV is often excellent in a way you don’t usually see here.

23. jic Says:
      November 1st, 2008 at 11:05 pm

British TV is often excellent in a way you don’t usually see here.

Have you actually watched British TV in Britain? Have you done so recently? Yes, there’s a lot of good shows here, but lots and lots of garbage too.

November 2nd, 2008 at 8:23 am

Have you actually watched British TV in Britain? Have you done so recently?

No, I’m talking about the classic stuff that Hunter mentioned.

25. Jules Says:
      November 2nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm

The BBC makes some high quality stuff but, as Jizz says, there is a lot of rubbish too. That has a lot to do with what people want. When I was back in the UK, I watched some crap with Bruce Forsyth – Strictly Come Dancing or something. It gets huge viewing figures. The spivvy reality show producer Mark Burnett has a lot to answer for – although I don’t think that’s one of his.

Currently, I think some of the best TV is coming out of America with shows like Mad Men, Californication and Dexter.

Comments