The Real Scandinavia

By Kyle | January 11, 2015

Social-Democratic paradise? I think not. More in my Sunday column.

Topics: Europe | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “The Real Scandinavia”

January 12th, 2015 at 9:48 am

Great article. Some terrific zingers.

January 12th, 2015 at 10:24 am

Anyone who has ever tried out an Ikea sofa knows first-hand how miserable the Scandinavians are.

3. SK Says:
      January 12th, 2015 at 10:25 am

I wonder if Mr. Booth’s book completely ignores religion and faith in God (aside from a brief mention of Islam) as this column does.

January 12th, 2015 at 11:50 am

That is an issue, primarily in Sweden. Booth doesn’t talk about it much. He writes much more about the Lutheran tradition and how it gave way to a sort of secular Lutheranism.

5. K Says:
      January 12th, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I would be interested if Mr. Booth touched on the one source of Scandinavian welfare that they don’t have to pay for, US military protection. Presently they spend under 1.2 percent GDP on defense.

6. Taz waz Says:
      January 13th, 2015 at 7:32 am

You are so full of shit, you sound like a hateful, jealous homosexual whose scandanavian boyfriend threw him over for a sheep since you are so far below an animal, you obviously have a lot of hate for the scandanavian people, don’t even get me started how superior most of them are than so called Americans.

7. Agentorangeaftershave Says:
      January 13th, 2015 at 8:35 am

Scandinavia isn’t ONE country, I don’t know what percentage of their GDP Sweden allocate the military but they don’t officially have any US support anyway since they aren’t part of NATO. And I’m pretty sure it’s only Denmark among the scandinavians who are below the NATO-minimum of 2%.

Also seeing how Irish that carrot-top Kyle Smith is he really shouldn’t talk about other peoples drinking habbits.

January 13th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

K, I don’t think Booth has much to say about that. Not that I recall.

9. Winifred Madsen Says:
      January 13th, 2015 at 3:10 pm

My mother just gave me your article, and based on it she says, “the Post is so hateful that I will no longer be reading it.” I know your thoughts on how the Danes are, not once do you mention the good they have done. Saving all the Jews from Hitler, makes me proud to be if their decent. King Christian X blowing up his ships to stop Hitler from using them was a selfless act. As for the drinking, well… The snow makes me want to drink too. Coming from an Danish/Irish background, whiskey and schnapps are in my blood, I however, abstain. They are a quiet, non boastful people, no longer the Vikings of long ago. We Americans have taken over as the loud, fighting, and warring Vikings of long ago.

10. K Says:
      January 14th, 2015 at 2:09 am

@Agentorangeaftershave: The under 1.2 percent is Sweden – that didn’t make it into the sentence even though it was supposed to.

According to the world bank site the average for Sweden from 2010 to 14 is 1.1 percent. Finland is 1.2.

Norway is the same as economic powerhouse Germany at 1.4 percent. Go Norway.

Given that NATO or if you prefer “The West” has similar security responsibilities as well as the US going the cradle to grave welfare route, the US should follow Europe’s lead and halve our defense percentage and let the rest of Europe either make up the difference or live with the future implications, particularly as Europe is rather closer to the threats.

11. Obama bin Biden Says:
      January 15th, 2015 at 2:12 pm

You failed to mention the Muzzie infestation.

12. William Ayrovainen Says:
      February 16th, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Your comments about Finland were simplistic and shallow, kind of like a foreigner judging the American character
      solely based on the behavior of people
      at NY’s St. Patrick’s Day parade. If you truly want some depth of understand-
      ing about the Finnish people, read
      ‘Finland, Cultural Lone Wolf’ by another
      Englishman, Richard D. Lewis, who lived
      and worked there for 50 years. You
      might also try the documentary DVD ‘Fire
      and Ice’,produced by American Ben Strout, about the Winter War of 1939-
      1940. On the other hand, if the purpose
      of your article was to prove yourself
      an ignorant wise-ass, no action is nec-
      essary – you’ve already succeeded.

Comments